Making roads safer
We provide a comprehensive road safety auditing service at all stages of highway development - as specified in GG 119 (formerly HD19/15) of the design manual for roads and bridges (DMRB).
We help our clients contribute towards the national target for the reduction of road casualties. Our early involvement can make a big difference in the safety of the final design of a scheme and avoid abortive costs. We offer:
- an experienced team qualified to meet Highways England Requirements as set out in GG 119;
- six of our Road Safety Auditors hold the Highways England certificate of competency in Road Safety Audit, enabling each team to have a certified auditor lead road safety audits on the UK Strategic Trunk Road and Motorway Network;
- a multidisciplinary approach to transport engineering that provides easy access to specialist advisors in areas such as urban design, traffic signal, signing, drainage, structural and lighting; and
- a comprehensive collision investigation and prevention service working alongside highway authorities to assist with the identification and analysis of collision problems.
Road Safety Audits provide a proactive safety assessment of new highway schemes or improvements at preliminary and detailed design stages and post construction. Undertaken by a team of safety professionals, appointed independently of the project designers, the benefits our Road Safety Audit can bring to a proposed highway design include:
- identifying any potential road safety related problems with the design and its interface with the surrounding highway network;
- consideration of the safety impacts of the scheme proposals on all likely road users;
- affording the designer the opportunity to eliminate or mitigate against any potential road safety problems; and
- reducing the potential for collisions occurring as a result of a proposed highway scheme or improvement.
Our expert safety teams work on schemes all over the UK and globally. We help develop prevention strategies and remedial measures and are experienced in investigating and providing expert advice, preparing single site studies, route safety strategies, area wide studies and mass action plans.